Aims of the Course
The aim of this module is to introduce you to the fundamental concepts of Hazardous Materials rescue whilst providing you with the necessary knowledge, skills and insight needed to effectively manage a Hazardous Materials rescue incident.
Rescue should not be attempted by individuals who have not been formally trained. Local Rescue Authorities, Fire Departments, Departments of Defence, Emergency Medical Services, etc. may be able to provide information on hazardous material rescue training, practice, equipment and organizations that are actively looking for members to employ within their organization. The hazardous material course will take between 2 to 3 weeks to complete, this will include theory classes as well practicals which will be carried out within and outside the college premises.
During the course student will demonstrate an understanding of hazardous materials in a rescue environment and assess the various properties of hazardous materials. Also be familiar with various types of personal protective equipment utilized in hazardous materials rescue. After the theory component of the course has been covered, students will be taken to a site where they will (as a class):
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various methods used to identify hazardous materials.
- Demonstrate an understanding of assessments used to describe various hazards and risks.
- Demonstrate an understanding of incident command of a hazardous materials incident.
- Demonstrate an understanding of various defensive control strategies used to control a hazardous materials incident.
- Demonstrate an understanding of the various decontamination techniques utilised at a hazardous materials incident.